Our party was founded on 28.11.1992 at the
foundation congress of the Estonian Democratic Labour Party. In 1997
the party was renamed the Estonian Social Democratic Labour Party.
At 01.01.2003 the Estonian Republic had 19
political parties, seven of them were in the Parliament. ESDLP has
one representative in the Parliament.
The Estonian Political Parties Act requires a party
to have 1000 members to be registered. At 01.01.2003, ESDLP had 1250
ESDLP is the only openly leftist political party in
the Estonian Republic. Our political programme as reviewed in 1997
takes the NELF 1993 Declaration of Barcelona as its political frame
document. The party considers itself a social democratic left-wing
Our party has regional organizations in all
counties of the Estonian Republic.
At the local elections of 2002 the party lost its
largest representation in Narva City Council, maintained its
representation in Jõhvi City Council and Rõngu Rural Municipal
Council and gained entrance into Vastseliina Rural Municipal
According to the statutes of our party the party
congress elects the Party Chairman and Central Management as well as
nominates a consultative Central Council representing all regional
organizations. The statutes stipulate the right of fractions. Local
policies are developed by local organizations, while central bodies
formulate national policies.
A green fraction is currently being formed, led by
the chairman of our Tallinn organization, Heiki Sillari. Youth and
women's organizations provided for in the statutes are inactive due
to lack of funding.
The party has been chaired by
Vaino Väljas (1992-1995),
Hillar Eller (1995-1996) and
Tiit Toomsalu (1996-....)
ESDLP is a full member of NELF since 1995 and
founding member of European Left Party since 09. May 2004